Monday, November 28, 2016

Tehillim Chapter 4: Calling Out to HaShem

Dovid HaMelech beseeches HaShem:

בְּקָרְאִי, עֲנֵנִי אֱלֹהֵי צִדְקִי
Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness

קריאה is a form of tefilla in which the person specifically calls out to HaShem confident that HaShem is listening and knowing that HaShem will answer his tefillas (Rav Shimshon Pinchus, Shaarim BeTefilla, pg75). 

Given this, we can understand the above possuk in a different way:

בְּקָרְאִי, עֲנֵנִי אֱלֹהֵי צִדְקִי
With “I call out”, O God of my righteousness, 
answer me

In other words, may the fact that I call out be the answer to my prayers. Because if I am able to call out to You, HaShem, then I know that You'll be listening and You will respond to me.

Dovid HaMelech then goes on to proclaim:

בַּצָּר, הִרְחַבְתָּ לִּי
In distress (literally, in narrowness),
You set me free (literally, You widened me)

If we can confidently ask HaShem for help in the middle of a nisayon, even for little things, then HaShem guarantees us that He will both listen and help us to ask for even more:

הַרְחֶב-פִּיךָ, וַאֲמַלְאֵה
Open your mouth wide and I will fill it
[i.e. fill your desires and alternatively,
help you fill your mouth with other requests]



Tehillim 81:11

No comments:

Post a Comment